Because Carol is such a good friend, she lets me post my foster dogs on her blog
· May 13, 2011
We have been fostering Indy for the last 3 weeks and all I can say is that she is a lovely and loving dog. Some dogs just have such a kind-hearted disposition and that is so much of who Indy is.
WONDERFUL THINGS WE LOVE ABOUT INDY:
1. She loves dogs
2. She is naturally obedient
3. She came with a great recall and she is naturally good on leash
4. Her level of activity is not over the top nor is it too low - it is just right
5. She doesn’t mind being left alone in the house
6. Although she likes to lick her humans a lot because she is overly submissive, she doesn’t have a need to be with you every second of the day
THINGS INDY NEEDS TO WORK ON:
1. She is timid by nature so is hesitant to approach people she does not know. Using positive reinforcement methods has and will go a long way in showing Indy that people are not so scary
2. She does not travel well in the car - she gets motion sickness.
3. She is hesitant to try new experiences. Building up her confidence level through obedience training will help her to overcome her fear of new things.
4. She likes to chew inappropriate human objects like shoes, pens, clickers etc.
INDY’S PERFECT HOME:
1. The people in the home have a calm nature
2. There is not a lot of social activity in the home (i.e. a lot of people coming and going)
3. Indy can live with cats as she does now. But this is dependent on how comfortable the family is with cat and dog behaviour. Although Indy does not chase our cats, she does spend a lot of time staring at the cats watching what they are doing. She would be best with cats very confident around dogs.
Indy is an easy dog to live with. Next to our over the top, crazily active somewhat OCD Australian Shepherd and our socially awkward, “I have separation anxiety” American Staffordshire Terrier, she comes across as perfect. Although we think she is absolutely perfect, some people may just see a very mixed breed, “plain jane” dog. There is a very popular song on the radio right now sung by Bruno Mars. The chorus sums up our little brown farm dog perfectly:
When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile,
The whole world stops and stares for awhile
Cause girl you're amazing
Just the way you are
When Indy gets her perfect home, I am sure she will flourish into that incredible dog companion we all desire.